To attain food-security and self-sufficiency in livestock products through enhanced rural
livelihoods to alleviate poverty.
To increase livestock productivity by ensuring prompt delivery of appropriate
technologies and services through commodity-based approach.
The mandates of the Dzongkhag Livestock are as follows:
1. Plan, coordinate, monitor, and evaluate the implementation of overall livestock
2. Ensure the supply of quality livestock inputs
3. Ensure sustainable utilization and management of livestock resources.
4. Promote livestock enterprise development.
5. Coordinate and implement a highland development program
6. Promote climate resilient livestock production to mitigate and adapt to Climate
7. Promote organic livestock farming.
8. Promote market access and marketing of livestock products.
9. Facilitate formation of Farmer Groups, Cooperatives and Federations
10.Safeguard health and welfare of animals through the provision of quality animal
11.Promote one health approach to safeguard public health by prevention and control
of zoonotic diseases
The objectives of the Dzongkhag of Livestock are as follows:
o To enhance food and nutrition security and rural livelihood through the promotion
of livestock farming
o To enhance the effective and efficient delivery of livestock services
o To generate appropriate technologies for enhancement of livestock production
o To encourage youths and public sector investment in livestock enterprises
o To promote sustainable management and utilization of Natural Resources and
contribute to RNR sector growth